Wednesday 16 November 2011

Arab Strap discuss motivation to reform...

Here's a brief follow-up to the cover story i wrote for this month's skinny. in a nutshell: if you haven't already got tickets for the arab strap gig tomorrow night, you've missed the boat...

Tomorrow night, Arab Strap will perform together at Nice 'n' Sleazy as part of the bar’s month-long 20th birthday celebrations. Tickets, predictably, disappeared faster than subatomic neutrinos (that's science, kids), resulting in a lucky few fans taking to the streets and bellowing “I’ve got a golden ticket!” like a lifetime of Wonka bars had suddenly paid off (probably).

But those left pouting and cursing slow broadband connections can at least cling on to the hope that more gigs might follow, right? Is there any chance of a repeat down the line? “None at all, not a whisper nor a hint,” kiboshes Aidan Moffat.

“What happened was that Sleazy's asked us to do a night together – i.e. a set by Malcolm [Middleton] and a set by me – but I love the place so much that I asked Malc if he was up for doing a few of our old songs, and he was. I suspect that might have been Sleazy's intention all along, right enough, but I don't mind; I love the place dearly and it'll be a pleasure. We're doing it all for free, too – there's absolutely no commerce involved, it's purely from love. Although I have been promised all the beer I can drink, which sounds like a challenge to me.”

Not as big a challenge as wrangling your way in to this hotly anticipated reunion without a ticket: the bereft may commence their greetin' now...

No comments:

Post a Comment